Sunday, April 21, 2013

Thing #15 - Wikis

The first time I encountered a Wiki was about 5 years ago when I was working as a one-on-one instructional aide to a 9th grader with autism.  His English class was presented a lesson by the librarian on research, emphasizing MLA citation and the pitfalls of some websites when doing research.  I already knew about Wikipedia, but I had never seen a classroom Wiki before that.

I thought it was pretty interesting that students from all over could collaborate without actually having to be face-to-face.  I think this is a valuable tool.  Of course students must be aware that other students are editing these Wikis and not all information may be 100% reliable.  It is important that they cross-reference items to be sure they have the most up-to-date and useful information.

I may or may not use a Wiki...with all the other possibilities out there it may not be worth it.  Also, some schools require the teachers have a personal website, so why would I stress myself out running two?

The Sandbox thing was actually a bit annoying.  I did not find it user-friendly at all and spent too much time fumbling around on the site just to figure it out.  But I did figure it out and posted something about Thing #7 on the front page.  I think it may just be easier to create a Facebook page for my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment