Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Thing #12 - Google

I have been using Google for a long time now and have been aware of all the options it offers.  I'm not one who likes online or digital calendars, I prefer them to be tangible.  I like to be able to write on them and carry them with me.  Since I don't have a smart phone and I don't carry my iPad around with me, paper will have to do!  But, for many people digital calendars are a good thing, so I decided to play around with it.  I created a calendar with some upcoming assignment due dates.  I also set a 'test' alarm for 10 minutes later, with a pop-up reminder for 5 minutes before the 'start time'...and sure enough, an alert popped up, even while surfing another page.  Definitely good for someone who is often on their computer, or has alerts sent to their phone, and who takes the time to enter in appointments and other important reminders.  I may be able to make a group calendar for my students; however, when I clicked on the 'share' link, this is what popped up:


I don't know how to share it with anyone that's not on Google, besides having to enter their email addresses.  Another student put the URL to his calendar in his blog, and when I clicked on it, his didn't come up for me, so I'll give it a go, maybe it will work for you:

https://www.google.com/calendar/render?tab=mc


I also played around with translator, which could assist students who speak multiple languages.  I have a translator app on my laptop, so I compared the one I have to Google...here are the results of the following sentences:    Welcome to the United States; my name is Adrienne and I will be your tour guide for the next three weeks.  I'm really looking forward to our trip together!

Google translate:  Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos, mi nombre es Adrienne y yo seré su guía para las próximas tres semanas. Tengo muchas ganas de nuestro viaje juntos!

Mac app translator:  Recepción a los Estados Unidos; mi nombre es Adrienne y seré su guía turístico para las tres semanas próximas.  ¡Estoy mirando realmente adelante a nuestro viaje junto!

A little bit of a difference!  :)

Again, I didn't see anything to share this, so here's the URL...

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=cT#en/es/Welcome%20to%20the%20United%20States%3B%20my%20name%20is%20Adrienne%20and%20I%20will%20be%20your%20tour%20guide%20for%20the%20next%20three%20weeks.%20%20I'm%20really%20looking%20forward%20to%20our%20trip%20together!


2 comments:

  1. OK...I logged out of gmail and viewed my blog as a 'public' viewer. I tried the links to the calendar and the translation... the calendar required me to sign in... I'm thinking there must be a privacy setting I missed... I'll check it out. The translation came right up!
    ~Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK... I can't even open calendar now! Something about there being too many redirects... see, this is why I'm not a fan of all that is digital.

    ReplyDelete