Sunday, February 24, 2013

Thing #8 - Mashups


1. old trees an fresh grass in bay of islands, 2. La Mussara Arbre, 3. Untitled, 4. Sowa uszata



 So... I struggled with this 'thing'.  I was disappointed that Mappr seemed to be a for-hire service.  I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to take a bunch of my pics and place them on a map...but I'm not paying for it.  I tried to make mosaics of my pics, but I could only bring up the ones on Flickr, and I wanted to do something a little different from my previous post.  Then I opted to just gather random Flickr photos with the tag 'nature'...the mosaics that came back to me, were missing pictures because these users had opted out of using Big Huge Labs.  I changed the tag to trees and viola!  Below my mosaic is the html language I was instructed to include so that my photos are properly credited.  I thought it would look different once I copied it over, but it is just a bunch of gobbleygook.

I think these mashups are fun to play with if you have the time, but I don't really see the educational value in it.  Maybe I'm being short-sighted, perhaps it would be really useful for an art project or to enhance other subjects.  I'm interested in reading others' posts about this 'thing' to see their take on it.

My feelings about sharing photos on the web are best described as guarded and hesitant.  I fully plan to remove all content I've uploaded for this class at the end of the semester.  I only have a few photos uploaded on my Facebook page and I'm very private about who has access to them.  I've also hidden  my other blogs from public view and only invite people to view them.  I was recently disturbed to find a picture of me from the school I used to work at - I absolutely HATE the picture, it's very unflattering and I didn't give permission for it to be on the world wide web.  I don't allow people to tag me in photos and I don't tag other people.  Maybe my feelings are more vehement :)

1 comment:

  1. OK, I went back in and fixed the HTML coding... phew... that was really buggin' me!

    ReplyDelete