Sunday, February 24, 2013

Thing #7 - Flickr

I haven't used Flickr before, but I've used other photo sharing sites like Photobucket.

I opted for the more "fun" option #2.  I opened an account - my username is adrienneapsu.  I uploaded six photos with the following tags:  apsu23things, motorcycles, and nationalparks.

For several years I was a tour guide, taking small groups of travelers on camping trips across our great nation.  I had the privilege of visiting at least a dozen national parks and touring many of our awesome cities.  The work was hard and sometimes like herding cats, but very rewarding (not financially, mind you!)  I wanted to share some of those pics along with another passion of mine - motorcycle riding.

These two pictures are of Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona.  You cannot enter this slot canyon without a Navajo guide.  My guide has all the cool tricks; he changed some of the settings on my camera to capture these images below:


Antelope Canyon, Page, AZ
Antelope Canyon, Page, AZ


Arches National Park, Moab, UT



The picture to the right was taken at Arches National Park just outside of Moab, UT.  It is the Double Arch.  Arches is one of my all-time favorite parks.  But doesn't hold a candle, in my opinion, to Bryce National Park (see picture below).

Bryce is home of the one of the oldest organisms known to man:  the Bristlecone Pine Tree.  It's also the top of the 'grand staircase' that connects Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon National Parks on the Colorado Plateau.

The first time I visited Bryce I was alone; I hiked the trails in early May and there was still snow on the ground.  There weren't many other hikers around, in fact, I only ran into 2 other people on the trails.  It was so peaceful and I really came to some conclusions about the life path I was on...one could say I had an epiphany...




Bryce Canyon National Park, UT

















Yellowstone National Park, WY














Yellowstone National Park is actually the first national park I ever went to.  I was in my early 30's and I took my brother; at the time he was only 15 years old.  We saw buffalo, bear and tons of elk.  We actually got the last camping site in the entire park for that night.



Motorcycle Training Course, Clarksville, TN

The photo above was taken a few years ago; I had just bought my first motorcycle after riding my boyfriend's 1977 Suzuki GS400 for a year.  We went out on the training course at Harley and I practiced my cools moves on my then-new Buell Blast.  I've moved up to a Buell XB9 since then with a BMW F650 in between.  Today looks like a nice day to ride...need to finish my 12 things so I can get out there!!!!!  LOL




I had trouble grabbing the link from Flickr...couldn't get that .jpg to appear at the end, and when I used the import tool on Flickr to Blogger, it just created a new post for me...I didn't like that, so I just uploaded the pics from my desktop.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd use Flickr for in my classroom; if students needed to find pictures for an assignment, I suppose this would be a good way to find them.  However, whilst tooling around the site, I came across several inappropriate ads, like "Your arrest record is online!" with mug shots of alleged criminals.  Not so good for our students.




2 comments:

  1. Very cool photos, Adrienne! I especially appreciate the photos from Page, AZ, which all look poster-worthy. Looks like you have enjoyed some great travels and captured them in great images. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scott! I actually took one of those photos and printed out an 18 x 24 poster...it's framed and hanging on my wall :)

      Delete