Saturday, February 23, 2013

Thing #4 - Commenting

Commenting helps create a sense of community and interaction by generating discussion and debate on topics we find interesting.  We're not going to read blogs that don't either entertain or inform us, and some of that entertainment and information comes from the comments.  Often times I'll read articles online and read many of the comments below; sometimes my perception of something changes just by reading what someone else wrote because it opens my eyes to something I may not have considered previously.  

Commenting also lets the writer know that he/she is being read and can encourage more blogging; otherwise the blogger may believe no one is interested and just stop writing.  Comments from the blogger are important as well because the readers will feel like the blogger is also 'listening' to the readers instead of being this untouchable figure.

One of the main pointers that stuck out to me was from the Cool Cat teacher blog:  #6, teach commenting.  It is SO important that our students learn how to communicate effectively and professionally in all types of mediums, however, since the internet is where many of us do a huge chunk of our communicating, our students need to learn how to write appropriate comments that help foster discussion and not be offensive or rude.  We also must talk to our students about cyber-bullying and why it can be so harmful.

Another pointer that I enjoyed reading was from Problogger... I think asking questions is a great way to generate comments and start discussion.  I don't recall doing much asking when I was running my travel blogs, perhaps I would have generated more interest if I had...other than my mother commenting every other day!  LOL :)


My classmates' blogs I chose to follow are:


*Jamie Kelley

One of my comments to Jamie was in response to this very thing, #4:

"Jamie...what a wonderful post! I especially agree with your thoughts on malicious commenting; I think this is where bullying can really explode. As teachers, we must be clear on our policies about rude, hurtful comments and we must pay close attention to what our students are writing and reading. Thank you for bringing up this point!"


I commented on Jamie's blog because I enjoy his writing style and because we agreed on the malicious content people hiding behind a screen name can generate.  


*Scott Davis

"Scott,  I wish my easiest habit were beginning with the end in mind... I mean, I can set goals and figure out how to get to those goals, but when looking at it from say an assessment point of view, I have trouble figuring that out. The Backwards Design model suggests we start at assessment and design our lesson plans to meet that assessment...seems logical to me, but not exactly easy. Maybe I'll get some pointers from ya!"

I commented on Scott's blog because our habits were opposite - his strongest is my weakest and vice versa.  Scott and I are also both GAs and see one another frequently.  


*Kasey Howe

Kasey,

"While I didn't exactly get caught up on the Google profile, I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to pick the best background and fonts and style of my blog. I also got a little frustrated because Blogger was different a few years ago (of course, everything evolves when it comes to technology) and I feel the previous version was easier. But I also stuck with it and just worked through!"

I commented on Kasey's blog because I felt her frustration, even though it was with different issues!  We also have other classes together and I enjoy hearing her perspective.


*Tobey Lee

"Tobey,


I like what you said about blogs becoming rants and that is why you sometimes read them. I am hugely guilty of reading the senseless, grammatically offensive articles on Yahoo! news. Mostly, it's to read the comments, because they can be so outlandish sometimes!"

I enjoy Tobey's writing style and liked that he admitted reading some blogs because of their rants :)



*Bing Thepsiri


"Bing,  I have enjoyed reading your posts, but chose this one to comment on. I have not done this "thing" yet, but have a good idea what it's all about. I am also concerned about my lack of knowledge of technology. But even more, I'm concerned about those areas in poverty that won't have the money to keep up with it - and not just the inner city schools, but our rural schools in poor states such as Mississippi. I just don't see how it's financially viable.  Maybe we should all be taking grant-writing courses!"


I think Bing has a wonderful style of writing and enjoy reading her posts; this post however struck a chord with me because of the high cost of technology.  I really fear a lot of our poorer areas are going to be left behind, as they are already.



Blogs I follow outside the classroom are:


http://www.kumuainafarm.com


I follow this blog because my brother is currently living and working on this farm; the people who began the farm have a cool story as to how they got there; and I'm learning about organic farming, which is something that may come in handy one day!


http://cecblog.typepad.com/cec/


I chose this blog to follow because it's all about Special Education (I'm going for SPED licensure) and the bloggers vary...it's not the same person post after post.  I think this helps keep it fresh and meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment