Saturday, February 23, 2013

Thing #5 - School 2.0

Well, that was an abundance of information!!!  I'm not sure I like the entire idea of School 2.0... it seems this could lead us down a path where teachers aren't really needed anymore... kids stay home and work online all day.  This is not good...nor do I think it's actually going to happen.  I realize education has trends almost as frequently as fashion, but I truly believe the latest trend of collaborative work is going to stick.  Does that mean it has to be entirely online?  Or entirely face to face?  No.  I think we need to strike balances between everything we do.  It's important for students to use technology in various ways, but they also need to know how to work with people face to face and complete hands on activities.  How do we as teachers decided how much online interaction is appropriate?

I also don't understand how all this will be funded.  I wonder if the technology of the future is going to leave some of our students living in poverty-stricken areas behind.

This isn't to say some of that stuff isn't impressive and fun.  One of my classmates used the Go! Animate site for a presentation in another class; I would definitely use this site in my classroom as an instructional aid and also as an assignment...I think the students would have a lot of fun playing around with it.   I'd love to know how to work all those gadgets and use them effectively in my classroom, but I don't know that it is a reality for the majority of our students.


No comments:

Post a Comment