Sunday, February 24, 2013

Thing #6 - Web 2.0 tools

Well, the first site I went to was http://www.go2web20.net/site/?a=Gripe; I chose it partially because it had a yin-yang symbol and I was curious to know exactly what people were griping about... students about teachers?  teachers about administrators?  well...neither...in fact, it has nothing to do with education.

This site claims to "harness your word-of-mouth power to get complaints with any business or service provider heard and resolved, likely on the spot!"

There are gripes about businesses that allegedly mistreated customers whether it be from extended hold times on the phone to being over-charged for products.  The companies people are complaining about cover a range of businesses from HP to Walgreens to local eye doctors to online companies like Expedia.com.


I'm not sure how I would use this in a special education classroom; I suppose it could be a life skill to teach any student to stand up for yourself and not let people take advantage of you...but I feel that's a stretch.  Also, the website is not very user-friendly; it took me a while to figure out how to get to the actual gripes.  


The next site I checked out was http://www.twentyfour.me/#&panel1-1; the description of the site is an "automatic to-do list."  I wasn't impressed with this one either.  Since I don't have a 'smart' phone, this would pretty useless for me.  Besides, wouldn't you have to enter everything you need to do into the program?  I'd rather just write it down on paper.  


I saw sites like Pinterest and YouTube...sure, they can be useful, IF you can get on YouTube at your school - the last school I worked at had it blocked.


Overall, I'm not impressed.  If the school doesn't have iPads (or something similar) and the students and teacher don't have smart phones, then honestly, I don't see the use of it.  Guess I'm old school

No comments:

Post a Comment